Powder fire extinguishers are designed to put class A fires, Class B fires, Class C fires and are used in different ways depending on the type of fire they are being used on.
Only tackle small fires with an extinguisher. If the fire has taken hold do not fight the fire but evacuate immediately and warn others of the fire, then call the fire and rescue service. If you tackle the fire, make sure you stay at a safe distance and follow the instructions below.
1、Pull the safety pin of the powder fire extinguisher, this will break the tamper seal.
2、Aim the hose at the base of the fire. Hold the lower handle lever (the carrying handle) with one hand and grab the hose or nozzle with the other hand.
3、Squeeze the lever to start discharging the powder fire extinguisher.
4、Where to aim the powder fire extinguisher nozzle:
- Solid Materials: Aim the nozzle at the base of the flames, moving across the area of the fire.
- Spilled liquids: Aim the nozzle at the near edge of the fire and with a rapid sweeping motion, drive the fire towards the far edge until all the flames have been extinguished.
- Flowing liquid: Direct the nozzle at the base of the flames and sweep upwards until all the flames have been extinguished.
- Burning gas: Switch off the gas supply as soon as you can! Aim the powder at the flare to extinguish.
- Electrical equipment: Switch off the power (if safe to do so) and then direct the nozzle straight at the fire.
5、Ensure all the fire has been extinguished, try to focus on any hot spots that may reignite. A powder fire extinguisher put out the fire by coating the fuel with a thin layer of dust, separating the fuel from the oxygen in the air.